Sunday, January 16, 2011

fff & sss

if you are lucky enough to work for the State of Hawaii, last friday was another FFF (fabulous furlough friday).  i feel for those who were forced to take a mandatory pay cut but at least it gives you another day to play and enjoy life.  and if you're lucky enough to have Martin Luther King day off, it's a 4-day weekend!  

meet my favorite state employee, miss tg.  she always tells me that she'll be swinging by on her next FFF to visit the little tiramisu.  i usually don't hold my breath but yesterday was a good day because she actually showed up...and with LOTS of gifts in tow for the tiramisu and some snacks for me.
this is tg, pre $200 digital perm



i don't drink coffee but i love coffee ice cream and coffee candy...so it makes sense that i would love these cappuccino cream "lucky sticks" that tg brought me :)  fun snacks like this make me want to return to japan. i can't wait until the tiramisu is a little bit older so we can travel to places far and away.
 
anywho, when tg left our house, she had loooong artificially straightened hair as shown above.  $240 ($200 + $40 tip) and four hours later, she looks like this.  what do you think of her digital perm? she's having issues about it being too bushy and curly but i think it looks cute.  i'm waiting for her to get 3d acrylic nails so she will really blend in with the tourists in waikiki.
tg's fob hair inspiration (left) & tg post-$200 digital perm (right)






while researching digital perms, we were both astonished by the abundance of blogs that feature stylish women who take photos of themselves and blog about it.  tg is fairly stylish.  she wears brand name shoes -- her most expensive pair of sandals cost $800.  yes, $800!  makes me want to run out and get a State job, too.  

i'm on the opposite end of the fashion scale.  post-baby, i hardly leave the house besides going out to walk the dog or grab the mail so i'm usually wearing my "home clothes" which typically consists of mens boxers and a tshirt or tanktop.  my "going out" attire mostly consists of black pants or jeans and a simple shirt.  my "work" attire is the same as my "going out" attire (luckily i've never had to wear "business attire" to work).  for the last couple of years, i've been perfectly happy rotating my wardrobe of 10 outfits but now find that i need a wardrobe makeover.  rather than going to the mall and buying clothes that everyone and their mama is wearing, i've decided to start something fun, creative and cheap -- THRIFTING!  vintage thrifting to be exact.  and my goal is to make one complete outfit from head to toe every week for under $20!

yesterday, i embarked on my first thrifting trip for my SSS (sustainable style series).  i went to my local Goodwill and was shocked at the amount of people roaming the aisles.  i browsed for about 1-1/2 hours and hardly made a dent in the inventory.  you really need a few hours to go through everything, especially since the sizes can be mixed up. unfortunately, i don't think i can survive in a Goodwill for more than 2 hours without sneezing from all the dust in there.  anyhoo, i got through what i could and walked out with a dress and skirt.  i wasn't able to find accessories or a top to make my outfit complete since i ran out of time but stay tuned for the first SSS installment anyway. i hope it's as fun as i'm imagining it to be!

why is it that my posts become soooo wordy?! 


3 comments:

  1. Heeeeeey! I dont like those 2 "before" pics!

    Annnd I almost always come to see Tiramisu on FFF days, minus the last 2 since the old man was in the hospital and I was sick!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh little Tiramisu looks so cute! Is that a new pic?

    ReplyDelete
  3. mannnnn i miss my super straight hair :( why didn't you talk me out of the perm?!?!?

    ReplyDelete