Thursday, August 11, 2011

mercury poisoning?!

mercury sushi combo from sushi ii, one of my fave sushi joints!

today i said goodbye to my beloved friends in the ocean as i embark on a one month journey of vegetarianism.

the hubby and i have always eaten a LOT of sea creatures.    the hubby wasn't feeling "normal" a few weeks ago so he had a bunch of tests done, including a heavy metal toxicity screen.  the results for mercury just came back at 90 µg/L or more than 11 times the accepted "norm" of <8 µg/L.  the doctor ordered him completely off of seafood for 1 month and then he'll have a re-check to see if some of the mercury was eliminated from his body.  omg.

this was crazy news and it scared me a little so i decided to get off of sea critters myself for one month to detox :)  although i have been trying to eat smaller fish (fish that fits in a small pan from head to toe) and smaller servings of ahi and other large fish since i'm still pumping breastmilk, i asked the doctor to write me an order for a mercury screening test next week.  better safe than sorry!  gah, i hope that i'm not a walking thermometer, too.


2 comments:

  1. Poor Blair. I hope he survives this month without his beloved sushi :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. he's surviving, so far. my results came in to the doctor but she hasn't called me to tell me what they are. i'm hoping it's not that bad which is why she isn't rushing to tell me to stop eating seafood. i'm kinda missing fish right now, though. if i can't eat fish, i may have to start eating land mammals again.

    ReplyDelete