Tuesday, February 8, 2011

sustainable style series - outfit #1

OMG.  let me just start by saying that taking these photos were TOTALLY out of my comfort zone...but i'm posting them for your amusement since i promised that i would do it.  har har har.

ever since i became a domestic engineer, fashion has been put on the back burner.  i'm a home body and i'm perfectly happy with no makeup, hair pulled back in a pony tail, wearing a tanktop and boxers all day long.  

on saturday night, the mister and i went to Assagios for a quick dinner since my mom was willing to watch the littles.  normally, i would put on a pair of jeans and one of my favorite three shirts.  but for my special blog audience, i decided to dig deep into my closet and bust out one of my new vintage thrifted digs.

may i present...Sustainable Style Series #1...  



DRESS - i thrifted this cute little blue dress at Goodwill for $6.99.  it's a hand sewn textured polyester dress that's reminiscent of the 60s and 70s.  since i'm not an expert in vintage clothing, i really don't know the true age of the dress.  i'm hoping to take a bunch of stuff i've thrifted in the last few weeks to a local expert to help me age everything.  stay tuned!

BELT - i wanted to add a belt to this dress so it doesn't look so frumpy.  i haven't been able to thrift anything that i liked (yet) so i pulled this simple black fabric belt from another dress that i bought and tied it into a bow.  i think it's cute.

PURSE - i don't have any vintage purses (yet).  i usually carry a LV bag but i didn't think it would match this outfit so i pulled out this Coach bag that i received as a gift for Christmas.  the bag is big and kinda business-y but it fits my ipad nicely.

TIGHTS - can you believe that Macy's in Kahala Mall does not carry any tights?!!  i know we're in hawaii but hello...aren't tights a basic staple in the hosiery department?  so i went to dinner without tights but photoshopped them in because it's really the look i was going for.  luckily, i am no longer tights-less as i picked up a few pairs at Target the other day.  

SHOES - i borrowed some Via Spiga sandals from my stylish mom.  

so i know that this isn't a super cool vintage outfit but it's definitely a change from my otherwise normal mundane wardrobe.  i hope to have something more fun for SSS #2.

and if you're interested in seeing some really stylish (and attractive and thin) women showcase what they wear almost daily, check out these blogs.  

Jessica Quirk - What I Wore 
Kendi Lea - Kendi Everyday 
Tiffany - I am Style-ish

sometimes i wish hawaii would get really cold so we can wear cute scarves and jackets and boots.  oh wells.  that's what traveling is for!




3 comments:

  1. I LOVE that dress....I am not good at seeing the potential when it is on a hanger, so I need to bust out of my comfort zone a little bit. And usually, I have the kids with me when I hit the thrift stores, so I have exactly 7 minutes to browse before they explode. I need to go by myself and dig for a bit :) I'm feeling inspired now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg! You look soooooooooo cute! You definitely need to dress up more often!
    Yay for SSS #1! can't wait for the next one!
    Miss you a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sara -- ask the hubby to watch the kids and definitely hit some thrift shops and post up the new digs!! it's soooo addicting!

    ReplyDelete